Rendez-vous in Apremont-sur-Allier
Apremont-sur-Allier is located in the department of Cher bordering the Burgundy region.
Historically known for its quarries, the village was built from the very stone it produces. This dressed stone was transported along the Allier and Loire rivers and used in the construction of notable structures like the famous Orléans cathedral and the Abbey of Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire.
During the 1930s, a massive effort orchestrated by two local men led to a complete renovation of the village. All which was not harmonious with the site was demolished and houses were rebuilt in the regional style of the Middle Ages.
Not to be missed
- The floral park: Built over former quarries and pastures, Apremont’s floral park follows the style of 18th century gardens with a particular English influence. Streams flow past meadows, unusual trees cast their shade, and vaulted wisterias invite you to walk underneath.
- Apremont castle: A former fortress, certain portions of this once powerful structure date back as early as the 13th century. Today, it houses a museum of 19th century horse-drawn carriages once belonging to families that lived there.
In the surrounding area
- Fontmorigny Abbey, whose remains are testament to its eight centuries of history as a monastery.
- Nevers: a classified “city of art and history” known for its Ducal Palace.
- La Charité-sur-Loire : One of France’s “cities of books”, this town’s many specialized bookstores sell all kinds of old documents, maps and a wide variety of books.
- Nevers airport (13 km away)
- Bourges airport (55 km away)
By train: SNCF station at Nevers.
- Highway A6 towards Lyon
- Highway A77 towards Nevers-Moulins
- Exit 37 after Nevers, towards Bourges, La Guerche
- Continue on towards Apremont
Cher tourism office
11, rue Maurice Roy
18023 Bourges Cedex
Tel: +33 (0)2 48 48 00 10