Rendez-vous in Gap
Gap is located in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur in the midst of rich and unspoiled nature, at the southwest end of the Ecrins National Park. Gap in the Middle Ages was an important trading center, at the intersection of several channels of communication. It was also a stop for pilgrims to Santiago arriving from Italy and joining Arles.
Gap is now the main town in the Southern Alps, and also bishop and prefecture of the Hautes-Alpes, where the Christian life is closely linked to the nearby Shrine of Notre-Dame du Laus.
Above the village of Saint-Étienne-le-Laus, in May 1664, the Virgin Mary appeared to a shepherd. May 4, 2008, was proclaimed the official recognition of the Marian apparitions of Notre-Dame du Laus, in the presence of thirty cardinals and bishops from around the world, marking the importance of this event for the Church.
Not to miss around Gap
- The County Museum, home to the mausoleum of François de Bonne (Duke of Lesdiguières, high alpine constable) carved in black Champsaur marble by Jacob Richier.
- The pedestrian area, made of small passages and pleasant terraces, surrounding the Place Jean-Marcellin.
- Bronze of Cyril Patellière, "la Liseuse", ordered by mayor Pierre Bernard-Reymond in 2006.
- The Park of "La Pépinière"
- Notre-Dame-et-Saint-Arnoux Cathedral, built from 1866 to 1904 from the blueprints of Charles Laisné. This neo-Gothic building replaces a medieval building.