Château of Saumur
The Château of Saumur, a château-palace of the Dukes of Anjou in the 14th and 15th centuries, and residence of King René, is the last example of a princely palace built by the Valois Dynasty. It was home to the Town Governors, then a jail, then an arms and ammunition depot. In 1906, it was purchased by the Municipality to house the Municipal Museum, today a Museum of France.
After being closed a long time for restoration and to celebrate the hundredth anniversary of its museum, the Château re-opened in 2012. Collections of decorative and fine arts are displayed in halls located on the first floor of the North wing. The second floor of the Château houses the finest collection of equestrian artifacts from antiquity to the 20th century, in the Horse Museum. Each object, from the most simple, to the most richly decorated, shows the important role of horses in many different civilizations.
Throughout the year, the Château hosts a variety of expositions and fantastic events to enjoy, and learn about the intriguing history of this beautiful castle. An unforgettable time for the whole family!
Château de Saumur
Tél. 02 41 40 24 40