Rendez-vous in Tours
A sweet « Art of living » in Tours…
Tours is a charming city with a long and rich history. Known as the “garden of France,” this blossoming green city is situated close to the Loire Valley with its beautiful châteaux set among rolling green pastures and vineyards. Scattered along the “Valley of kings,” beside the Loire river, you will find various historic places which are all worth a visit. By foot, on the “little train” or by bicycle, come and discover the famous half timbered houses of the “old quarter” or have a walk in the historical gardens. An enchantment… You can also try the “Douceur Tourangelle” by wandering through the alleyways or by taking a glass while enjoying the view of the imposing facades of the town hall. Most excursions will lead you to the famous Loire Valley castles. Tours is also the capital city of the art of living, which of course includes eating and appreciating fine wines. In the great tradition of Rabelais, the Touraine offers numerous traditions indeed…
City of Art and History, Tours has benefited from an active program of restoration in the 1960’s, which allows the city to enjoy the benefit of one of Europe’s largest protected areas of special historic interest.
- The Musée du Compagnonnage: a unique collection of masterpieces from the crafsman’s guild
- The Plumereau Place and its half timbered houses ; the medieval streets ; the Châteauneuf Quarter
- The Saint Martin Basilica
- The Saint Gatien Cathedral
- The traditional markets
- The Vinci International Congress Centre
- The Prébendes d’Oé garden
- The gastronomic specialities : “Rillettes de Touraine”, “Nougat de Tours”, wines (Vouvray, Montlouis sur Loire…)
Main events in Tours
- Fêtes Musicales en Touraine (February, June and November): an international classical music festival.
- The Florilège Vocal (Pentecost) : an international competition for choirs.
- Tours sur Loire (from mid-may to mid-September): Guinguette, open-air movie…
- Vitiloire (End of May): the greatest Loire Valley wines exhibition.
- The Garlic and Basil fair (In july, the 26th): traditional event.
- 10 and 20 kms race on foot (September).
- The Paris-Tours (October) : famous cycle race.
A tour of Tours
- Lecturers of “Villes et Pays d’Art et d’Histoire” suggest guided tours of the city. Visitors can choose among various themes, such as a pedestrian tour in the heart of the protected area, enaissance in Tours, Saint-Gatien Cathedral, Victor Laloux, the Antique Tours, Saint-Martin, Tours by night…
- Audio visit: discover Tours thanks to an audio visit by Ipod.
- From Easter until October, the little train offers a guided visit of the old quarters of the city.
- Horses drawn carriages: in July and August, tourists can tour the ancient city center to the rhythm of the horse’s hooves on the old cobbled streets.
- Visit of Tours and surroundings thanks to two new “passports” : the “annual Pass” and the “ Summer Pass”
Welcome to Tours
An important crossroads in the center of France, situated at the heart of a European communication network, Tours is one of the major centers of France.
- Train: Railway station in Tours and in Saint Pierre des Corps (shuttle service to Tours)
- International airport at the city gates
- Motorways : A10–A85–A28
Office de Tourisme de Tours Val de Loire
78/82 rue Bernard Palissy
37042 Tours cedex 1
Tel: 02 47 70 37 37 – Fax: 02 47 61 14 22